2 pounds ground beef
1 small eggplant, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce (Prego or Healthy Choice)
1 cup half-and-half
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 7 x 11-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, sauté the ground beef over medium-high heat for 7 to 8 minutes, or until crumbly and only slightly pink; drain off any excess liquid.
- Add eggplant to the skillet and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, until eggplant begins to soften. Add the garlic, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper; mix well. Add the spaghetti sauce and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until hot; place mixture in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the custard-like top is set.
NOTE: If you want to make this a day or two before serving, go ahead. Just put it together according to directions through step 3. Cover and refrigerate the meat mixture in the baking dish until ready to finish as directed in Steps 4 and 5. Makes 6 to 8 servings.