Eggs Baked in Portobello Mushrooms
4 large portobello mushrooms, stem removed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons grated cheese
4 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat broiler, setting temperature to high. Set oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Brush the mushroom caps with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder.
- Broil 5 minutes on each side, or until just tender on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Remove mushrooms from oven. Switch oven from broil to bake, setting temperature to 400° F.
- Break an egg into each mushroom. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 15 minutes, until egg whites are cooked.
- Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley.