Makes 8 servings; to make vegan, omit the eggs
½ cup tamarind concentrate
½ cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
½ cup + ⅓ cup brown sugar (or ¼ cup honey + ⅓ c coconut sugar)
3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
16 oz package rice stick noodles
3 to 4 tablespoons peanut oil
16 oz tofu, extra firm packaged in water
4 medium/large shallots, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped (more if the cloves are small)
4 cups pea pads, fresh or frozen
8 to 12 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
9 to 16 oz bean sprouts
4 to 8 green onions, chopped
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Prepare everything before ready to cook or the noodles are likely to disintegrate while cooking.
- The base recipe recommends cooking in single servings. I did fine with 4 servings in a regular wok and placed half in the warming oven while the rest was prepared and it was fine. With more surface area, I could see scale increasing ok.
- Prepare sauce: combine tamarind concentrate, soy sauce, brown sugar and chili sauce in sauce pan and heat on low until sugar dissolved and a simmer is reached. Remove from heat. Keeps well when refrigerated.
- Cook the noodles until al dente: place dry noodles in a bowl and pour boiling water over the noodles. Let soak until al dente and then drain. Overcooking will produce mush. About 2 cups noodles serves 1 person.
- Drain tofu and press to remove water. 3 to 4 pounds of weight for 15 to 30 minutes works well. Slice tofu in ¼-inch slices and then into bite size triangles. I got 4 triangles per slice.
- Heat half the peanut oil and fry the tofu until browned and crispy on both sides.
- If preparing in bulk (more than 1 to 2 servings at a time), cook eggs until firm.
- Heat remaining oil in wok/pan on medium/high heat. Add tofu, shallot and garlic. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add pea pads, sauce and noodles, mix and move to the side.
- If 1 to 2 serving size: add uncooked egg, let set and mix with noodles. If larger cooking portion: stir in pre-cooked egg and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add peanuts and bean sprouts. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add green onions and cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve with a lime wedge for each person.