Cheery Cherry Cookies
3/4 cup butter or shortening, softened (used Spectrum organic shortening)
1 cup packed brown sugar (used organic evaporated palm sugar)
1 egg (used Ener-G egg replacer)
3 tablespoons milk (used almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dried tart cherries (can use drained maraschino cherries instead), chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut (can use unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Measure out the flours and baking soda into a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Chop the cherries, and combine in a small bowl with the pecans and coconut. Set aside.
- Blend together the butter or shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg or egg replacer, milk and vanilla.
- Gradually blend the flour into the shortening and sugar. Fold in the cherries, pecans and coconut.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.