Chocolate Snow Cap Cookies
3 ounces chocolate (Enjoy LIfe Mega Chunks), melted
1/2 cup large crystal decorator sugar
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment.
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring between each heating, so as not to overheat. Set aside to cool while you mix the other ingredients.
- Place the large decorator sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, starch, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir with a whisk until blended, then cut in margarine with a fork until a fine crumb-like texture is achieved. Add egg, vanilla and sugar, stirring until combined. Add the melted and cooled chocolate and stir until the batter is smooth. The batter will quickly thicken and become firm, much like the consistency of cooled ganache for truffles.
- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
- Form 1-inch balls with the batter (this takes approximately one heaping measuring teaspoon of the batter). Place each ball in the decorated sugar and roll completely, making sure all dough is well covered and no chocolate batter remains visible. Roll each ball 2 times to ensure a thorough coating of sugar. Place the sugar-coated balls on prepared cookie sheet. Do not flatten; the cookies will spread during baking.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the tops have a crackle appearance. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.